In addition, new features will be made available to you through SDEX with this release.
- Data maps should be revised to include the new category labels in SWIS 5
- To take advantage of new functionality in SWIS 5, you will need to use a new file format in SDEX.
- If your schools have used Extra Information fields to accommodate a data integration solution, you will need to transition to using the new file format for SDEX.
New Category LabelsBased on user feedback, we have added new category labels to the list of Problem Behaviors and Actions Taken. A list of all lookup values is available here.
- Disrespect – both Major and Minor – is now its own problem behavior separate from Defiance/Insubordination/Non-Compliance.
- Bullying is now its own problem behavior separate from Harassment.
- Unknown has been deprecated from the list of Problem Behaviors.
- Alternative Placement and Action Pending are new labels under Administrative Decision.
- No Action Taken has been deprecated from the list of Administrative Decisions.
Custom Fields Replace Extra Information FieldsWe have replaced the Extra Information Fields with Custom Fields. If your schools:
- Have setup Extra Information Fields in SWIS,
- Utilize the information in these fields for your SDEX integration solution and
- Plan to continue this practice
All data currently entered in the Extra Information Fields will be migrated over to Custom Fields in each school’s SWIS account. To access the data through SDEX, you will need to reference the Custom Field columns in the file.
If you don’t utilize the Extra Information Fields in SWIS, you can continue using the default file layout you have used with SWIS 4. The only change you’ll want to make is to your mapping document to accommodate the label changes.
New File Layout to Include New FeaturesIf you would like to take advantage of the new features available in SWIS 5 or need to reference Custom Fields in place of Extra Information Fields, you will have the option to download data in a new file layout. An example of the new csv layout is available here.
In addition to accessing the Custom Field columns, here is a list of additional features available within the new format:
Multiple Problem Behaviors/Actions Taken per ReferralWith SWIS 5, schools will have the option of selecting multiple problem behaviors and/or multiple administrative decisions per referral. The school will identify the primary problem behavior and/or the primary administrative decision for each referral in addition to the secondary problem behaviors and administrative decisions.
Schools can choose to turn this functionality on as a preference in School Settings. Each school will identify how many problem behaviors and/or actions taken are allowed per referral.
Problem Behavior Sub-TypesBased on federal reporting requirements, we have given schools the ability to track subcategories for two problem behaviors: Harassment and Weapons. There are default subcategories for both Problem Behaviors. Schools can also establish their own defaults. For example: If a student is referred for Harassment, the data entry user would additionally identify the type of harassment.
Schools can choose to turn this on as a preference in School Settings. In SDEX, the subcategory information is only available if Weapons or Harassment is listed as the primary behavior. For a list of default identifiers for the subcategories, please take a look at the lookup values listed here.